Friday, April 25, 2008

Freedom! 6th week post op

I went in to see my os yesterday. I was actually pretty relaxed for the impending splint removal. My mom came with me since I wasn't sure about the laughing gas effects. So when I went into the room, they immediately put me on the laughing gas. Wow! Within minutes I was high. It felt like I was really drunk. At first it felt like that drunk when you get nauseous. My mom got the PA back in the room because I wasn't sure if they knew I was a light weight and just a little would put me out. I was definitely in la, la land. So she turned it down a little. But within minutes I was back to myself. The doctor walks in. I was like turn on the gas. I want to be back to la, la land for this. Health care workers make the worst patients. I think it's all the knowledge of what is being done and what could go wrong. So he cranked it up. He numbed the area multiple times and he kept asking. "how ya feeling?" I responded, "I m wasted." "Good, that's what we want." It went by real quick and the splint was out. The top of my mouth felt gigantic! So much room up there. As my tongue rubbed up against the top I could feel rough edges and areas of soreness. My mom was asked back in the room. She was flabbergasted on how quick it took. She barely had enough time to read a paragraph in her book. I sat in the chair a while because I was a little dizzy. Which by the way, I have been having a lot of since the surgery. whenever I go from sitting to standing. Watch out...head rush.
They told me I could start eating whatever I wanted. My mom and I went to Starbucks after. We got our coffees and started to chat. But I felt so tired and had difficulty concentrating at first. I must have had a little reminisce of gas left on board.I tried a little pice of pumpkin bread but it felt rough on the roof of my mouth. I will take it slow from now on. Overall, I highly recommend the laughing gas! You're aware of what's going on but don't care. The best part is, you don't have a hangover later; like most anesthesia.
FYI: I posted pics of me this week including one of me with the laughing gas on.HEE. HEE!

1 comment:

ingrid said...

Congrats!!! That is so exciting! Sounds like the laughing gas was a good choice. I can't wait to hear all the thing you're about to eat. I'm supposed to get mine out next Thursday. Can't wait :)