Wednesday, April 2, 2008

3 weeks post-op

This is the first time I've done this....a blog. I was inspired by others who have gone through this and thought I would start my own. My hopes is that I too will inspire someone else or make another know they are not the only one.
I am currently three weeks post-op for maxillary, mandibular, la forte, turbinectomy, genioplasty, and two wisdom teeth surgery. Phew! If that seems like a lot, it is.
I had been debating on having the surgery for approximately a year and a half. As my jaw pain worsened, there was nothing to debate. I got my braces on in August and my surgery was performed on March 12th, 2008.
It was rough the first day or two. I looked like the poster child for Botox gone wrong the first couple of days. I was so swollen I could not talk. I had two tubes in each nostril and because of all the blood, I could only breathe through my mouth. Drinking and taking all my meds was such a chore! I used a 60cc syringe and mixed most of my meds with water or apple juice. The worst was the liquid antibiotics! I couldn't smell it but others told me it smelled like old sweaty feet. Well, it tasted like it too. If I could imagine what that would taste like. Mixing it made it a little more bearable. I squirted my liquids to the back of my mouth from the side of my cheeks. No sipping here. I couldn't pucker. My mouth was numb. Can we say drooler!
The second week I was up and about more and had my first real follow up appointment with my oral surgeon. At this appointment my nose tubes were taken out. I had really feared going in to have this done since I heard it was awful. However, the worst part of it was the snip of the stitch. I didn't even feel him take the tubes out. Even though they were out I was still not allowed to blow my nose. I was just allowed q-tips and tissue to clean my nostrils. Next, the doctor removed my rubber bands for the first time and he had me thoroughly clean my teeth and my mouth. This was the first time I opened my mouth a little. Well, enough to squeeze a small tooth brush in to brush my tongue. Yuck! There were some nastys growing on it. Lets just say I felt very refreshed and those around me started talking closer to me. Or maybe that was my imagination. After that, my doctor put on new bands and showed me how to place them. I had officially moved to thickened liquids. First up, strawberry milk shake from the local drive thru. Yummy!
Now its week three and I am back to work. Wow! I never thought I would be so tired at first. I got to blow my nose lightly for the first time this week. EEW! Yucky stuff coming out. I won't get into details. I have had to use a Neti pot twice a day for the last couple of days to cleanse my nasal passages cuz blowing isn't getting the job done. Man can I breathe after doing that! Also, my jaw gets tired just from talking. Talking....well I mean my attempt to talk with a mouth opening ability of 1 inch. The rubber bands are becoming more and more of a nuisance each and every day. I have to take them out to eat. oh, eating....well that's mostly soups, smoothies, jello, and pudding. Did I tell you no straws allowed? so when I do eat, tomato soup, yogurt or smoothies, it's all over my face. Half of my face is still numb. Because of this my smile is uneven. I will attach images up to this point.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Congrats on deciding to start a blog and welcome. We have such an amazing group on here. I hope your recovery continues to go well.
Take care!

Marnie said...

This is a really great blog, Megan. You are a very brave and giving woman to share your jaw surgery with others who may be going through the same thing.

Anonymous said...

One question : did your OS explain why straws aren't allowed, and for how long?

mylene